Tuesday 10 May 2011

I saw the devil - A relentless, brutal yet beautiful film


I saw the devil is the new film from Kim Ji-woon, director of The Good, The bad and The weird, and like TGTBTW, it took an worn genre and made it fresh. This time its revenge films rather than westerns.  The premise follows Soo-Hyun (played by TGTBTW's Lee Byung-Hun), a secret agent, hunting down his wife's murderer (played by Oldboy's Choi Min-sik) for some revenge.
I saw the devil is littered with beautiful shots and wonderful sets. Both leads produce sensational performances, and they constantly have you on the edge of your seat. The film has some incredibly powerful scenes with the perfect score to match, particularly early on in the film when Soo-Hyun's wife's body is found. Like i've said in the title of this post, I saw the devil is one of the most relentless revenge films I've ever seen, with each act topping the last in terms of brutality and originality. The final act of the film is brilliant as well, with an ending that sticks with you long after the film is done. I Saw the Devil is one of the best films I've seen this year and I really can't recommend it enough (unless of course you have a weak stomach, I'm pretty desensitized to violence and this had me feeling a little uneasy throughout).
The trailer for the film is below, but I quickly wanted to say that the advertising for this film was also one of the best I've seen in years, the trailers were beautiful, the posters original and dark yet simple.
I love that final bit in the trailer, with the shotgun. So f**king badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment